Friday, August 6, 2010

Takhini Hot Springs to Kluane Lake – Unexpected Surprises-

Today’s drive was beautiful! Full of unexpected surprises.

We stopped and turned around to get out and see this bridge. It is Canyon Bridge, just off the road between Whitehorse and Haines Junction. It was originally constructed in the early 1900’s and reconstructed and used as part of the old Alaskan Hwy. The new road has since moved and a modern bridge built, but this bridge still stands.

DSC00736 DSC00737 DSC00740

DSC00741

We were planning to stop In Haines Junction, just another little town along the way. We had read about Our Lady of the Way Catholic Church in Milepost, but had not expected to feel so moved by this little church.

DSC00750 DSC00748

DSC00751 (2)

This church had such a spiritual presence –---tiny inside, yet they hold services here every Sunday; making use of what they had to find a way to gather as a community for worship.

DSC00753

And this picture just moved me………..Mary represented as light……..the spiritual presence we felt watching the film of the Aurora Borealis.

DSC00755

Then there was Kluane lake……………...Absolutely breathtaking! All along the way, we have seen beautiful mountains and lakes, but this one, for some reason, just stood out as spectacular.

DSC00774

This had to be the prettiest lake that I had ever seen. Crystal clear water – the water is as blue as the Caribbean – but COLD. The lake was calm, with no boats on it – nothing around it- pristine. The sky, the bluest of blue, with white fluffy clouds. And the mountains all around.

DSC00781

So I told Fred “pull over” at the Cottonwood Campground, which just happened to be around the next curve, and we decided to spend the night.

DSC00790

We got a site right down on the lake. The campground is clean, uncrowded, and beautiful –with, as a bonus, bathrooms with running water, showers, and Wi-Fi! We may never leave……..

But, our plan is to drive on, tomorrow and arrive at Denali National Park on Sunday………..

3 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your blog so much. I look forward to it each day. I feel like I am taking the trip with you. What a great thing a blog is. Your pictures are spectacular. I am showing them to Tracy and we are wishing we were alongside with you in our pop-up! While I am knee deep in kid/teenager stuff, Sue, you give me hope that there is life and adventure out there afterwards! Thanks and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went through this area it was shrouded in clouds and very hazy skies. I'm so glad it turned nice for you guys so you could fully experience its beauty!

    I mentioned your blog on one of my posts so you will be getting some visitors... I see that several of them have already "followed" you. So many people are traveling with us on our journeys!

    ReplyDelete