Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Settling In

I realized that I haven’t posted anything in the week that we have been home. I have intended to keep the blog up-dated from time to time, but, life at home does not have the day-to-day excitement that traveling does. Even so, for those of you who like to keep up, I will try to write a bit each week.

The weather has been quite nice since we’ve gotten home, with lows in the 40’s and highs in the 80’s and we are beginning to see some  Fall color in the leaves. But – we desperately need some rain! We came home to draught. Louisiana has had a very hot and dry Summer, and the Fall rains have not arrived, yet. Everything is dry – and the grass is mostly brown. However, most of the new trees and bushes that I had planted last Spring made it, with the exception of a few azaleas. My philosophy has always been that the landscaping at the cabin had to be able to take care of itself. I just plant, and let nature take care of things. Though, while we were away, nature (in the form of some very hungry deer) ate some of my landscaping down to bare branches. I guess I need to investigate more deer resistant plantings.

DSC02877

 DSC02878

The garden, surprisingly, had a number of sweet peppers still growing, and the basil was thriving – this, without any watering while we were gone!

I don’t know if it is this way for everyone…..but for me, coming back home after such a long trip takes a bit of adjustment. And the emotions! …..from a sense of having neglected our beloved home, to needing to just take a bit of time to get re-acquainted with everything……from wanting to run away again, or wanting to never leave. Thank goodness for family and friends, familiar routines…..and lunches at Gram’s……

For the time being, before we begin planning the next trip (or at least seriously planning), we are looking forward to tackling a few projects around here.

And we have so many thoughts on what we learned about travel….and ourselves…..on this trip. I am making a list so I won’t forget. But, that will be another post……

No comments:

Post a Comment